The City of Gainesville's Safety Division is committed to the prevention of accidents. It is essential that everyone take an active part in initiating preventive measures to control hazards within our workplace. We make sure employees have the right training, equipment and support to perform daily tasks at work safely.
Remember it is YOU that is ultimately responsible for your safety. Your attitude toward a safe workplace will determine how likely you or your co-workers are to be injured.
This Internet site is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your health, please speak with your health care provider. For questions about wellness and prevention please contact the Wellness staff.
Tips on Making Your Environment Safer
- Place rubber backing on throw rugs
- Tape down loose cords
- Use nonskid tape in the bath tub
- Install grab bars in the bathroom
- Make stairwells well lit with extra lighting
- Wear rubber soled shoes
- Use night lights
- Keep frequently used items on lower shelves
- Don't stand on chairs to reach things- place them on a lower shelf or ask for help!
Drugs That May Impair Your Balance
- Antihistamines (over the counter and prescription)
- Sleeping Pills
- Muscle Relaxers
- Certain hypertension medications
- Hypnotic Drugs
Good Prescription - Exercise