Foundations After-School Academy
Registration is open! Register in person at our Administrative Office, located at the Thomas Center (306 NE Sixth Ave.), Building B, 3rd Floor, Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Academy Dates: Monday, August 19, 2019 – Friday, May 29, 2020
We are pleased to offer this fun-filled, educational program for children who are in 1st–8th grade. The program utilizes curriculum assistance from the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) to increase nutrition awareness and physical fitness, and to replace sugary drinks with healthier choices. Participants will be involved in various life-long recreational and educational activities, such as tutoring, tennis, arts/crafts, basketball, board games, bowling, volunteerism, citizenship and more. Transportation is not provided for this program.
Offered at the following locations:
- Albert “Ray” Massey Recreation Center, 1001 NW 34th Street, 352-334-2186
- Clarence R. Kelly Community Center, 1701 NE 8th Avenue, 352-334-2185
- Eastside Community Center, 2841 East University Avenue, 352-334-2714
- Phoenix Community Center, 3113-B SW 26th Drive, 352-240-6179. Child must reside in the Phoenix Neighborhood.
- Porters Community Center, 512 SW 2nd Avenue, 352-334-3366
Program Hours: Monday-Friday, 2–6 p.m.
Current Weekly Fees (through Sept. 30, 2019): City residents*: $18.50, Non-city residents: $27.50. *Proof of residency (GRU bill or voter ID card) is required at the time of registration.
Weekly Fees (effective Oct. 1, 2019): City residents: $19.50, Non-city residents : $29
Please note, there is no after-school program on city-recognized holidays.
Full scholarships are available for families that qualify through the School Board of Alachua County (SBAC) for free or reduced lunch. Families can also qualify through the City of Gainesville Family Application for Reduced Fees. You can request proof of free or reduced lunch through your child’s school by calling the SBAC’s Food Service Office at 352-955-7539 (ext 1569). You can also provide us with the most recent "Notice of Case Action" letter from DCF or bring the last four weeks of paystubs for the household to qualify.
For additional information, please contact our Administrative Office (Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.) by email, phone us at 352-334-5067 or visit us in person at the Thomas Center (306 NE Sixth Ave.), Bldg B, 3rd Floor.
Foundations Academy does not provide afterschool programming on the following dates. You will need to make alternate arrangements for childcare:
Monday, Aug. 12–Friday, Aug. 16, 2019 | Program transition
Monday, Sept. 2, 2019 | Labor Day
Monday, Nov. 11, 2019 | Veterans Day
Nov. 28–29, 2019 | Thanksgiving Holiday
Dec. 24–25, 2019 | Christmas Holiday
Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020 | New Year’s Day
Monday, Jan. 20, 2020 | MLK Day
Monday, May 25, 2020 | Memorial Day
Out of School Days:
The Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department offers all day activities for days the schools are closed.
Fees per day: $6.25* for residents, $9.75 for non-city residents. Prices effective Oct. 1, 2019.
- Friday, Oct. 4, 2019 | Out of School Day (UF Homecoming)
- Oct. 18, 2019 | Out of School Day
- Monday, Nov. 25, 2019 | Out of School Day (Thanksgiving Break)
- Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019 | Out of School Day (Thanksgiving Break)
- Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2019 | Out of School Day (Thanksgiving Break)
- Monday, Jan. 6, 2020 | Out of School Day
- Monday, Feb. 17, 2020 | President’s Day
Proof of residency required (GRU bill or voter registration).
The Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department offers themed camps based on school breaks throughout the year. Winter Break and Spring Break Camp prices are $55.25* for residents and $82.50 for non-city residents. Proof of residency required. There are no scholarships offered for these camps. Prices effective Oct. 1, 2019.
- Winter Break: Dec. 23, 26-27 and Dec. 30-31 and Jan. 2-3
- Spring Break: March 23-March 27, 2020
You must register for Out of School Days and camps as separate program as they differ from the Foundations Academy afterschool program, occur at limited locations and accommodate a different capacity of children. Fees apply.
*Proof of residency required (GRU bill or voter registration).