Mr. Albert "Ray" Massey was the long term Director of the City of Gainesville Recreation and Parks Department. At his retirement in 1987, Mr. Massey had given 24 years of professional and passionate service to develop quality parks and recreation programs in the city.
As Director of the Recreation and Parks Department Mr. Massey brought his vision to pass the development of the Northeast Complex and Westside Park. He was also instrumental in the development of Meadowbrook Park and the T.B. McPherson Recreation Center. Mr. Massey worked diligently to be sure that parks were placed in strategic geographical locations so they could serve all citizens. He developed leisure programs and activities for children, adults, and senior citizens, as well as special events for the entire community.
Mr. Massey passed away in September 2006.
Thanks to Mr. Massey's dedication, Gainesville today has quality parks and recreation programs for its citizens. In the year 2000, the City Commision created an annual volunter service award in his honor. The Albert "Ray" Massey Citizen Volunteer Award recognizes citizens whose volunteer service best reflects Mr. Massey's vision. On August 19, 2010, Westside park was formally remaned the Albert Ray" Massey Westside Park.
Definitions and Criteria
The Albert "Ray" Massey Citizen Volunteer Awards will go to citizen volunteers who have made outstanding efforts to promote recreational activities in the City of Gainesville. The Public Recreation and Parks Board will select the award winners based on the following set of criteria:
- The depth of commitment that the nominee has made to one or more of the city’s recreational activities or programs. This commitment will be measured by the impact that this individual has had on these programs, and the amount of time that the nominee has dedicated to promoting recreational activities in Gainesville.
- The board is particularly interested in awarding those citizen volunteers who have made significant contributions over a sustained period of time.
- The board is particularly interested in recognizing those individuals who have made outstanding contributions to youth-oriented recreation activities.
Two to three individuals are usually recognized each year.
Award Selection Guidelines
- Anyone can submit a nomination.
- Nominations should be completed on the Albert “Ray” Massey Citizen Volunteer Award form.
- Completed nominations must be received no later than Friday, November 29, 2019. Nominations may be emailed, telephoned in or mailed in at:
City of Gainesville – Parks, Recreation & Cultural Affairs
PO Box 490, Station 24
Gainesville, FL 32627
For information, please contact Glenda Tucker at WaltonTucGY@cityofgainesville.org or call 352-393-8357.
The Board reserves the right to change the number of awards granted in any particular year.
Previous Albert "Ray" Massey Award Recipients