Earth Academy Day Camp awakens your child's innate curiosity while encouraging an environmental ethic and appreciation of the natural world! This nature-based day camp is held at Morningside Nature Center's 416-acre nature sanctuary and uses hand on fun to focus attention on natural and cultural history. Instructors are career educators and science professionals experienced in working with children. Earth Academy Day Camp is offered to children in 1st through 6th grade.
Camp is offered in one-week sessions during Alachua County School's spring and summer breaks.
In addition to a variety of theme-based, multidisciplinary projects campers have fun with character development activities demonstrating trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship. Camp tends to fill quickly and space is limited so be sure to register early! Sign up for our mailing list below to receive updates and reminders!
Summer Camp 2020 Dates and Sessions
Camp will be held during the following week:
Session Dates: July 6-10
COVID Safety Precautions:
• No field trips
• Less campers per session
• Less staff per session
• Physical distancing built into all parts of the day
• Frequent hand washing and disinfecting of all surfaces
• No indoor activities in our Education Building
• No sharing of supplies
• Masks to be worn by campers and staff when social distancing not possible. Campers will need to bring their own mask daily
• Temperature checks each morning
• Socially distanced parent drop off and pickup
Time: Camp will take place from 8:30-12:30 each day. We will not be able to offer early drop off or late pickup.
Fees: City residents: $92, Non-city residents: $125.63. Proof of residency (GRU Bill or Voter ID card) is required at the time of registration. Fees are due at the time of registration
One snack will be provided each day. Campers will also receive a take-home activity package to extend the Earth Academy experience to your home!
Scholarships: We have limited number of scholarships. The Friends of Nature Parks, our non-profit support group, is proud to support Earth Academy Day Camp programs by offering scholarships that cover up to 75% of registration fees to successful applicants. Scholarships are based on availability and eligibility.
Scholarships are available for families that qualify through the School Board of Alachua County (SBAC) for free or reduced lunch. You can request proof of free or reduced lunch through your child’s school by calling the SBAC’s Food Service Office at 352-955-7539, extension 1569. This request must be made the week prior to registration. Scholarship applicants must register in person at the Thomas Center B third floor or over the phone starting on June 22nd at 9a.m. Phone: 352-334-5067. In person registration will be only be available from June 22-24 from 9a.m. -1p.m. and 2p.m.-5p.m.
Registration will open on Monday, June 22nd at 9 a.m. Space is limited and registration is first-come-first-served basis. Registration closes one week prior to camp regardless of the enrollment status. If camp is filled, you can sign up for our waiting list. Under-registered sessions may be canceled with a full refund.
Registration can take place online, by phone, or in-person at the Thomas Center Administrative Office, Building B, 3rd Floor, 306 NE 6th Avenue, 32601.
• Online registration will begin at 9a.m. on June 22 and will stay open until spots are filled.
• Registration in person or by phone will be available from June 22-24 from 9-12 p.m. and 1-5 p.m. each day. We recommend calling ahead to make sure camp has not filled up already prior to visiting the Thomas Center 352-334-5067
You will need an Active Net profile to register. If you do not already have a profile set up in Active Net, please follow this link to do so. This will make online registration quicker on opening day, as spaces will fill up quickly. If you already have an Active Net account, please do not create another one.
Questions: Please call 352-393-8240 or email email@example.com.
EADC Junior Naturalists
Kids in 7-12 grades are eligible to apply for the Junior Naturalist Program. Junior Naturalists volunteer from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. for one week camp sessions and assist with camp activities. Additional volunteer opportunities are available for special events and programs throughout the year.
- In order to participate, candidates must complete an application each year. Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Applicants will be interviewed and successful candidates must attend an orientation to participate in the program.
- Junior Naturalists who have volunteered at least one week in a previous summer are eligible to volunteer for spring break camp. New Junior Naturalists applications are not accepted in the spring.
- Please fill out the application and submit it by Date to Come.
For more information, please call 352-393-8240 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.