The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has issued its 2021 Hurricane Season Outlook. NOAA's outlook for the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season indicates that an above-normal season has the highest chance of occurring (60%), followed by a 30% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. This includes a 70% chance of 13-20 named storms, 6-10 hurricanes and 3-5 major hurricanes.
The time to plan is before a hurricane watch or warning is issued. The best time to plan is now. You can never plan enough for a hurricane, but you can prepare for disaster before it strikes and educate yourself about what to do before, during and after a hurricane.
Before a Hurricane
When a Hurricane Watch is Issued
- Keep up-to-date on storm information by accessing websites such as Crown Weather, listening to NOAA Weather Radio or local radio, or watching local TV stations.
- Prepare to bring inside any lawn furniture, outdoor decorations or ornaments, trash cans, hanging plants and anything else that can be picked up by the wind.
- Prepare to cover all windows of your home. If shutters have not been installed, use precut plywood as described above. Note: Tape does not prevent windows from breaking, so taping windows is not recommended.
- Fill your car's gas tank.
- Recheck manufactured home tie-downs.
- Check batteries and stock up on canned food, first aid supplies, drinking water and medications.
When a Hurricane Warning is Issued
- Listen to the advice of local officials, and leave if they tell you to do so.
- Complete preparation activities.
- If you are not advised to evacuate, stay indoors, away from windows.
- Be aware that the calm "eye" is deceptive; the storm is not over. The worst part of the storm will happen once the eye passes over and the winds blow from the opposite direction. Trees, shrubs, buildings and other objects damaged by the first winds can be broken or destroyed by the second winds.
- Be alert for tornadoes. Tornadoes can happen during a hurricane and after it passes over. Remain indoors, in the center of your home, in a closet or bathroom without windows.
- Stay away from flood waters. If you come upon a flooded road, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are rising rapidly around you, get out of the car and climb to higher ground.
After a Hurricane
- Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or local radio or TV stations for instructions
- If you evacuated, return home when local officials tell you it is safe to do so
- Inspect your home for damage
- Use flashlights in the dark; do not use candles
- GRU's Storm Central includes information on: portable generator safety, electrical service, water and
service, natural gas services and debris cleanup
Additional Hurricane Resources