The Audit Committee is an important governance body for the independent function of the Office of the City Auditor. Audit Committee responsibilities include reviewing City Auditor reports and updates, approving the annual audit plan, selecting the City’s external financial statement auditors for General Government and the City’s utility, and reviewing external auditor reports, including the City’s Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR).
The Audit Committee is comprised of three members - Mayor, Mayor Pro Tem, and an appointed external subject matter expert. The committee meets on an as-needed basis, but not less than once every quarter. Committee recommendations are placed on the City Commission agenda for review and approval.
- July 22, 2021: The City Commission approved bifurcating the existing Audit & Finance Committee. The Audit Committee is now governed by two City Commissioners and one appointed external subject matter expert. The Finance Committee is governed by three City Commissioners. The new structure is effective January 1, 2022. See Legistar #210180.
- September 23, 2021:City Commission approves City Commission rule changes for the separate Audit Committee and Finance Committee. See Legistar #210180.
- November 4, 2021: The City Commission appoints Harold Monk as the City’s first Audit Committee external member, effective January 1, 2022.See Legistar #210597.
Audit Committee Members
- Mayor Lauren Poe
- Mayor Pro-Tem David Arreola
- Harold Monk, CPA, CFE (external member)
Minutes from Audit Committee meetings may be viewed at https://gainesville.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx by clicking on the “list view” tab, then selecting “Audit Committee” and the year from the dropdown menus to the right of the search box. Prior to 2022, the committee was named “Audit and Finance Committee.”