Submit your audit ideas here
Office of the City Auditor
The City Auditor's Office was created in November 1979 by a special act of the legislature. As provided by the Gainesville City Charter, the City Auditor is appointed by and reports directly to the City Commission. Resolution 150127 establishes the City Auditor's responsibilities and administrative procedures. An Audit and Finance Committee consisting of the Mayor and Mayor Pro-Tem provides oversight of activities.
Auditor's Office is located in City Hall, Room 211, 200 E. University Ave., Gainesville, FL 32601. As of March 2020 our office hours vary due to accommodate remote working schedules. Please contact the Executive Assistant to the Office of the City Auditor at 352-224-5020 to schedule an appointment.
To anonymously report fraud, waste and abuse, please use the Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline managed by Lighthouse Services at 1-844-818-2492 or visit https://www.lighthouse-services.com/cityofgainesville .
To promote honest, efficient, effective, transparent and fully accountable government.
- Serving the public interest
- Professional judgment
Internal auditing is the cornerstone of public sector governance by providing independent and objective services to help the City achieve intended results, accountability and integrity, improve operations, and instill confidence among neighbors and stakeholders. Our goals are to:
- Periodically assess organizational risks that inform the risk-based internal audit plan.
- Provide assurance on enterprise risk management processes, including fraud risk management.
- Actively work with City leadership in evaluating risk management processes, evaluating controls and making recommendations that promote efficient and effective operations and delivery of city services.
- Advance accountability to the public and the City Commission through the provision of assurance and advisory services.
- Comply with internal auditing professional standards (yellow book and red book).
- Maintain a professional work environment that attracts and retains talented, dedicated and experienced staff who consistently act with integrity and are committed to improving city services, accountability and transparency.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.