The City of Gainesville provides automatic bulk collection service to curbside residents along with their garbage pick-up. Most items will be picked up with the garbage; however, bulk items that are too large will be picked up within a 24-hour period.
Appliances: Residents still must call customer service (352-334-2330) by 2:30 p.m. the day before their regular pickup day to schedule a "white goods" (household appliances) pick-up. For city residents, white goods (washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, etc.) are always scheduled for the same day as your garbage.
E-scrap (electronics) collection provides residential collection by disabled citizens working with ARC of Alachua County. Your participation helps ARC provide much needed jobs, while recovering valuable materials that would have been buried in a landfill otherwise. To help prevent curbside theft of electronic items, place your e-scrap near the front of your house instead of at the curb. If you use the online form, indicate where e-scrap will be located. If you have questions, call customer service (352-334-2330) to schedule and discuss where to place your e-scrap for pickup. E-scrap is always scheduled for pick-up on Friday, so city residents must call to schedule a pick-up before 2:30 p.m. on Thursday.
For a list of vendors that will take old computers, check the A-Z Recycling Source.
City of Gainesville curbside residents can request white goods and e-scrap pick-up service online by clicking on the links below:
Example of items that will be collected:
(Automatic pickup for bulk items)
- Furniture (including patio)
- Gym equipment
- Household item (vacuum, ironing board, broom, blinds, etc.)
- Interior remodeling debris (do-it-yourself projects only)
- Large child toys (including bikes & riding toys)
- Basketball backdrop/Pole (broken down, no concrete)
- Child equipment (car seat, walker, stroller, etc.)
- BBQ grill (no tank)
- Garden tools (rake, shovel, wheelbarrow, etc.)
- Carpet (5 ft., 40 lb. rolls)
- Pool/sandbox (1 pc. formed plastic)
- Trampoline/swing set (broken down)
(Must schedule e-scrap for pickup)
- Desktop computer tower/monitor
- Computer peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.)
- Computer printer/scanner/fax
- Laptop computer
- Game system
- Tape recorder
- Telephone/answering machine
- VCR/DVD player
- Power tools (no gas equipment)
White Goods (large appliances)
(Must schedule white goods for pickup)
- Air conditioner
- Hot water heater
City of Gainesville Ordinance Chapter 27, Article III, Section 73 (11) requires that if a service contractor performs the interior remodeling, the contractor must haul off all interior debris.
- Large items such as swing sets must be disassembled and all concrete must be removed from any poles or posts.
- Do-it-yourself interior remodeling debris can be no more than 2 cubic yards in volume. This is the equivalent of a level pick-up truckload.
- Each piece of interior construction debris must be less than 5 feet in length and less than 40 pounds. Carpet should be rolled.
- Smaller interior construction debris such as broken tile and wood scraps must be in a container and weigh less than 40 lbs.
- Large glass items such as table tops, shower doors and mirrors or heavy furniture such as console TVs may require collection at a later time.
Items which will not be collected include:
- Miscellaneous trash that could fit in the garbage cart or an official yellow bag. No bags or boxes full of smaller items.
- Exterior structures such as fencing, outbuildings, decks, doghouses, exterior remodeling debris.*
- Commercially generated waste
- Concrete, brick, exterior drywall, shingles, paint, pallets, garage doors, windows
- Propane tanks, water tanks from wells, pool pumps/filters or any type of drums
- Gas engine equipment, car parts or tires
- Pianos, organs, pool tables, hot tubs/covers, pool covers/diving boards
*WCA will leave a tag to inform the customer when an item has been rescheduled for collection, an item cannot be collected without proper preparation or is not acceptable for collection. In the case of an item not acceptable for collection, call WCA for a special collection cost estimate or call the City of Gainesville for other disposal options.
If you have any questions about an item for pick-up, call customer service at 352-334-2330.