Michelle Park Family Recreation Scholarship Application
This recreation opportunity has been created so a Gainesville family may enjoy a year’s worth of events, programs, tours and more at no cost! Apply now to qualify for the scholarship.
The purpose is to provide a scholarship for one year to one City of Gainesville low-to-moderate income family, to participate in nature, recreation and cultural activities provided by the City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department and other providers in the community, such as the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art and the Florida Museum of Natural History.
Now Accepting Applications for Michelle Park Family Recreation 2018 Scholarship
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department (PRCA) is pleased to announce a recreation opportunity for a Gainesville family to enjoy a year’s worth of events, programs, tours and more - at no cost! Now in its fourth year, the Michelle Park Family Recreation Scholarship provides a low- to moderate-income family from Gainesville the opportunity to participate in nature, recreation and cultural activities which are offered by PRCA and other providers in the community, such as the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Arts and the Florida Museum of Natural History. This scholarship was made possible through the generous gift of an anonymous donor.
The award consists of one scholarship valued at $1,500, including a $250 gas gift card, that can be used to enjoy activities such as:
- After-school activities and day camps for school breaks and teacher holidays, for children age six–12
- Access to the Wellness Center at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Multipurpose Center
- Tickets to cultural events, such as the Hoggetowne Medieval Faire
- An annual pass to Sweetwater Wetlands Park
- Adult and youth recreation and sports activities such as golf lessons, swimming lessons and tennis lessons; free registration to participate in city-sponsored youth baseball, basketball, flag football, Pop Warner football or cheerleading
- Family must be live within City of Gainesville city limits;
- Family must meet the criteria of the Alachua County School Board Free or Reduced Lunch Program and
- Family must be able to complete 20 volunteer hours during the award year or the following year.
Application packets are available at the Albert “Ray” Massey Westside Recreation Center, Clarence R. Kelly Community Center, Eastside Community Center, MLK Multipurpose Center, T. B. McPherson Center, Porters Community Center and the PRCA Administrative Office, which is located on the third floor of the Thomas Center, Building B. The packets are also available online.
The deadline for the scholarship applications is Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018. Final scholarship award selection will be made by the City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs (PRCA) Department’s evaluation team. Applications may be dropped off in person at the Administrative Office, Thomas Center, Building B, Third Floor, Reception Desk, 306 NE Sixth Ave., Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Please email Jennifer Harrington, program assistant, at HarringtoJL@cityofgainesville.org or mail the application to:
City of Gainesville
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department
PO Box 490, Station 24
Gainesville, FL 32627-0490
Please download the application packet for all details and requirements for the scholarship.