New Family Recreation Scholarship Winner Announced
The City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs (PRCA) Department announced the 2017 winner of the newly created Michelle Park Family Recreation Scholarship. The purpose of the scholarship is to support a local family for one year which may have difficulty participating in the many nature, recreation and cultural activities available in the City of Gainesville. The scholarship was made possible through the generous gift of an anonymous donor in 2014 that provides for a Gainesville family to take advantage of a year’s worth of events, programs, tours and more at no cost. One scholarship valued at $1,250, including a $250 gas gift card, has been awarded to Regina Edwards of Gainesville. The Edwards family is very excited to be this year’s recipient, as the girls plan to sign up for Pop Warner cheerleading and take swimming lessons. Mom and grandma will focus on wellness at the Martin Luther King (MLK) Center. In addition, the family will be able to enjoy activities such as:
- Free access to the Wellness Center at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Multipurpose Center
- Free access to adult and youth recreation and sports activities such as golf lessons and tennis lessons
- Free registration to participate in city sponsored youth baseball, Pop Warner cheer or football and girls softball leagues
- Free access to the Foundations Academy after-school program, Out of School Days, spring break day camps and summer day camps
- Free admission to signature cultural events such as the Hoggetowne Medieval Faire, as well as the Thomas Center Galleries Openings, Downtown Festival & Art Show, “Free Fridays” Concert Series, and Jest Fest!, which are already free and open to the public.
The criteria of the Michelle Park Family Recreation Scholarship require that the deserving family be a resident of Gainesville, demonstrate financial need and volunteer at least 20 hours during the fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30, 2017.
For more information about the annual Michelle Park Family Recreation Scholarship, please contact Interim Development and Partnership Program Coordinator Gigi Simmons at 352-393-8524 or firstname.lastname@example.org.