Local small businesses support the City of Gainesville's overall economic development and the city is committed to their success, growth and development. To help these businesses be more successful, the city has adopted the Small and Service-Disabled Veteran Business Program. The program provides significant opportunities for qualified local small businesses to participate on a nondiscriminatory basis in all aspects of the city's contracting and procurement programs as well as providing other needed business services.
What does the Small and Service-Disabled Veteran Business Program offer to local and surrounding counties small businesses?
- One-on-one help with preparing bids (public bid solicitations) advertised by the City of Gainesville.
- Free access to Business Opportunities & Resources.
What does the Small and Service Disabled Veteran Business Program offer to certified businesses?
- Free listing of your business in the City of Gainesville’s small business directory for city departments and community use.
- City of Gainesville departments can spend up to $20k with a small business who has never provided any products or services to the agency, including GRU. This can be done without performing a public bid solicitation.
- When city departments make any purchase between $5,000.01 - $50,000, they are required to have three written quotes. One of the three quotes must be from a certified small business, if they exist.
- Businesses participating in the public bid solicitation process (purchases above $50,000) participate in a point system, with the goal to attain the most points against competing vendors. As a certified small business owner, you will receive an additional 5% of the total points of your bid proposal.
*Must be certified with the City of Gainesville. More information can be found here
Qualifications to get your small business certified with the City of Gainesville?
- The business’s principal place of operation with full-time personnel must be within: Alachua, Bradford, Columbia, Gilchrist, Levy, Putnam or Union Counties limits.
- Must have currently valid occupational license taxes for a business located within the city limits of Gainesville.
- Must have less than 200 employees and have a net worth of less than $5 million.
- Business must have valid vendor registration with the City of Gainesville. More information here.
- Complete the electronic Small Business Application online.
- The City of Gainesville utilizes direct deposits for goods and services purchased from your company. Please contact our office for the electronic vendor application. Your business is required to be registered with the City of Gainesville as a vendor prior to applying for the Small Business Certification.
For more information, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity at 352-334-5051 or email: email@example.com.