Local small businesses support the City of Gainesville's overall economic development and the city is committed to their success, growth and development. To help these businesses be more successful, the city has adopted the Small and Service-Disabled Veteran Business Program. The program provides significant opportunities for qualified local small businesses to participate on a nondiscriminatory basis in all aspects of the city's contracting and procurement programs as well as providing other needed business services.
What does the Small and Service-Disabled Veteran Business Program offer local small businesses?
- Listed in city's online directory of certified firms
- Technical assistance in preparing bids
- Other resources and services to promote business growth
- Bid documents available at no cost
- Business visibility via link added to bid notices
- Purchases more than $5,000 and less than $50,000 will now require three written quotes and require one of the quotes to come from a certified small and/or service-disabled veteran business, if they exist.
- Procurement policy now includes points at the competitive level (above $50,000) if you are a certified small and /or service-disabled veteran business (5% of total points).
Who are the ideal candidates?
- The business’s principle place of operation with full-time personnel must be within Alachua, Bradford, Columbia, Gilchrist, Levy, Putnam, or Union County
- Pay required Occupational License taxes (if your business is located in the corporate city limits of Gainesville)
- Have less than 200 employees
- Have a net worth of less than $5 million
How to get your business qualified?
- Your business's principal location with full-time personnel must be located within Alachua, Bradford, Columbia, Gilchrist, Levy, Putnam, or Union County
- Your business must meet the size requirements: Fewer than 200 employees and have a net worth less than $5 million.
- Complete the electronic Small Business Application online.
- The City of Gainesville utilizes direct deposits for goods and services purchased from your company. Please contact our office for the electronic vendor application. Your business is required to be registered with the City of Gainesville as a vendor prior to applying for the Small Business Certification.
For more information, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity at 352-334-5051 or email: email@example.com.