Gainesville's City Commission performs such duties as passing the city's budget, setting the millage rate and approving the ordinances and resolutions. The commissioners are ultimately responsible to the citizens of Gainesville. The commission consists of seven members: four commissioners are elected from single member districts, two commissioners are elected at-large, and one member is elected as mayor. In the spring of 1998, Gainesville citizens voted for their first elected mayor in 72 years.
Click on a photo to read that commissioner's biography and profile.
City Commission Contingency Policy
This policy is adopted by the Gainesville City Commission to establish criteria for the allocation of funds from the City Commission's Contingency Account. No funds have been budgeted for the 2010 fiscal year.
- For City Commission Strategic Goals & Adopted Initiatives for Fiscal Years 2009/2010 Read more
- Testimony by former Mayor Pegeen Hanrahan for the U.S. Representatives Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming on Jun 19, 2007 Read more
- All Updates & Modifications to the current City Commission Agendas & Minutes is available here: Read more
- All Agendas & Minutes of the City Commission, City Commission Standing Committees and Community Redevelopment Agency is available here : Read more
- For a map of City Of Gainesville Single-Member Voting Districts 1-4 Read more
- Regular City Commission meetings are scheduled on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month (excluding holidays). Special Meetings and Workshops may be called. For more details see the Notice of Meetings Read more
- The City of Gainesville Code of Ordinances is available online from the Municipal Code Corporation Read more
- The city has a number of boards and committees with which citizens can participate. For more information call the Clerk of Commission at 352-334-5015 or visit the website Read more
- The City Commission created the Citizen Election District Review Committee to review the City’s election districts based upon the 2010 Census data. The Committee, consisting of citizens appointed by the Mayor and each member of the City Commission, will be making a Final Report to the City Commission in early fall. Read More