The Building Inspection Department is responsible for issuing building permits, performing inspections, and providing plan review for all new and remodeled construction performed in the City of Gainesville. We are located on the first floor of the historic Thomas Center, 306 NE 6th Ave., Building B. Our office hours are:
- General office hours: Monday through Thursday from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm; Friday from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- Permitting: Permit applications are accepted from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Thursday and from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm on Fridays.
- ***NEW*** Inspection scheduling: Contractors who are registered with the City of Gainesville Building Inspection Department can now register to use the Citizen's Access Portal at any time to schedule an inspection for any future workday. All other requests for inspections are accepted from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday with the inspection being scheduled for the next working day. (See the Inspection section of our website for more information.)
- Inspections: Inspections are performed between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Office hours for all inspectors are 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm Monday through Thursday.
- Verifying inspection status: If you would like to check on the status of a permit or inspection, please check out our Public Permit Access section in the ribbon on the left. If you're not familiar with the operation of our Public Permit Access section, check out the tutorial.
All structures shall comply with the City of Gainesville zoning ordinances and applicable codes as identified in the Applicable Codes tab below.