Moving Alachua County Forward Oversight Committee

The Gainesville City Commission is pleased to receive applications for consideration for appointment to the Moving Alachua County Forward Citizen Oversight Committee. The city will appoint two members and one alternate to the oversight committee.

The Moving Alachua County Forward transportation surtax is a one-percent, eight-year sales surtax initiative that will be on the Nov. 4, 2014 ballot.  If passed, the proceeds will be used for road improvements, bus station and route enhancements, bicycle/pedestrian projects and other eligible transportation projects in Gainesville, the unincorporated area of Alachua County and all other municipalities in Alachua County.

If the initiative passes in November, the responsibilities of the oversight committee will include:

  1. Assuring citizens and elected officials that funds approved through the referendum are expended only for projects as approved in the Moving Alachua County Forward ballot and the County and Municipal Transportation System Project Lists
  2.  Track overall expenditure of Moving Alachua County Forward one-percent sales surtax revenues
  3.  Provide recommendations to the City of Gainesville, Alachua County and other municipalities if amendments are proposed to the Moving Alachua County Forward Ordinance and/or municipal and county interlocal agreements designating eligible projects

All City of Gainesville appointed committee members must be residents of Alachua County and may not be municipal or county elected officials or employees. City appointees will include one member appointed to a four-year term, one member appointed to a two-year term and one alternate appointed to a four-year term.

Applications must be received in the Office of the Clerk of the Commission by 6 p.m., Tuesday Sept. 9, 2014. Applications and additional information about the City Of Gainesville Committee appointment process is available at the Office of the Clerk of the Commission, City Hall, 200 E. University Ave., first floor (352-334-5015). Interested individuals can also apply online.