Lobbyist FAQs

Q. Who is a lobbyist?
A. A lobbyist is any person who is employed and receives payment, or who contracts for present or future economic consideration of any kind, for the purpose of lobbying. 

Q.  What is an Employer?

A. Employer means any person providing compensation of any kind to a lobbyist in consideration for his or her performance of lobbying activities.

Q.  What is a Person?

A. Person means any individual, business, corporation, association, firm, partnership, not-for-profit organization, or other organization or group.

Q. What does lobbying mean?

A. Communicating directly or indirectly, either in person, by telephone or by letter, or any other form of communication, with the Mayor or City Commissioners or Board members of the CRA, where the lobbyist seeks to encourage the passage, defeat, modification, or repeal of any item which may be presented for a vote before the City Commission or CRA.

Q. When are lobbyists required to register with the City?

A. A lobbyist shall file, on an annual basis (October 1st - September 30th) a registration statement for each employer on whose behalf he or she lobbies before the City Commission or CRA.

Q. Is there a registration fee?

A. No

Q. What are the registration procedures?

A. Lobbyist registration forms may be downloaded from this web page. Forms may also be obtained in person from the Clerk of the Commission Office, 200 E. University Avenue, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Completed registration forms may be returned in person to the City Clerk's Office, located at 200 E. University Avenue, City Hall, or mailed to the City Clerk, P.O. Box 490, Station 18, Gainesville, Florida 32627.

Q. Who is not required to register as a lobbyist?

A. Any employee, public officer or appointee of an agency, acting in the normal course of his/her duties; an attorney, or any person, who represents a client in a quasi-judicial hearing before an agency, board, Commissioner or CRA; persons who, in their individual capacity and without compensation of any kind merely communicate with the Mayor and City Commissioners or Board members of the CRA for the purpose of self-representation; and any person who appears as a representative of a not-for-profit community-based organization for the purpose of requesting a grant, funds or in-kind services.

Q. What are the penalties for violating the ordinance?

A. If the City Clerk or his designee becomes aware of any person engaged in lobbying who has failed to comply with the requirements of this act, a notice of violation will be mailed to the person informing them of the requirements of this ordinance.