The City of Gainesville Audit Committee provides policy oversight and guidance to internal and external audit affairs. These responsibilities include oversight of the city’s internal audit function, selection of the independent external auditor, review of the annual audit plans of both the internal and external auditors, auditor communications, and all other audit related matters.
The Audit Committee shall consider, review and where appropriate, make recommendations to the City Commission concerning the following matters:
- City Auditor internal audit reports and audit issue follow up
- City Auditor annual budget
- City Auditor enterprise risk assessment activities and audit plan
- Status of internal audit activities reported in the City Auditor quarterly update
- External auditor selection process (pursuant to Section 218.391, Florida Statutes) contract, external financial statement audit reports and other reports, if any
- Other audit-related matters as deemed appropriate.
- July 22, 2021: The City Commission approved bifurcating the existing Audit & Finance Committee. The Audit Committee is now governed by two City Commissioners and one appointed external subject matter expert. The Finance Committee is governed by three City Commissioners. The new structure is effective January 1, 2022. See Legistar #210180.
- September 23, 2021:City Commission approves City Commission rule changes for the separate Audit Committee and Finance Committee. See Legistar #210180.
- November 4, 2021: The City Commission appoints Harold Monk as the City’s first Audit Committee external member, effective January 1, 2022.See Legistar #210597.
Audit Committee Members
- Mayor Lauren Poe
- Mayor Pro-Tem David Arreola
- Harold Monk, CPA, CFE (external member)
Minutes from Audit Committee meetings may be viewed at https://gainesville.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx by clicking on the “list view” tab, then selecting “Audit Committee” and the year from the dropdown menus to the right of the search box. Prior to 2022, the committee was named “Audit and Finance Committee.”