As provided by the Gainesville City Charter, the City Auditor is appointed by and reports directly to the City Commission. Resolution 970187 establishes City Auditor responsibilities and administrative procedures. A City Audit, Finance and Legislative Committee consisting of the Mayor and Mayor Pro-Tem provides oversight of audit activities.
To promote honest, efficient, effective and fully accountable City government.
- Serving the Public Interest
- Professional Judgment
Our Operational Goals
- Performing an independent, objective and comprehensive auditing program of City operations, programs and activities, which provides quality information to the public, the City Commission and management that can be used to improve programs and operations and facilitate decision-making.
- Actively working with appointed officials in identifying risks, evaluating controls and making recommendations that promote economical, efficient and effective delivery of City services.
- Advancing accountability to the public and the City Commission through the provision of assurance and advisory services.
- Maintaining a professional work environment that attracts and retains talented, dedicated and experienced staff who consistently act with integrity and are committed to improving the organization's delivery of services to the public.
In order to achieve our Mission and Goals, we focus on the following objectives:
The major objective of the City Auditor's Office is to assist the City Commission and City management in the effective discharge of their responsibilities by furnishing them with analysis, appraisals, recommendations, counsel and information concerning the activities reviewed. The scope of audit work carried out by the Office may be concerned with any phase of City activities where service may be rendered to the City Commission or to City management. This involves going beyond the accounting and financial records to obtain a full understanding of the operations under review, and involves the following:
- Conducting revenue, cost containment, operational and compliance audits of programs and activities in accordance with Government Auditing Standards issued by the Comptroller General of the United States.
- Issuing audit reports that effectively meet the needs of users and communicate actionable, value-added recommendations in a clear, concise, convincing and constructive manner.
- Establishing a comprehensive, consistent and recurring audit follow-up process to verify and report management's corrective actions planned or implemented in response to audit recommendations.
- Reviewing the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information and the means used to identify, measure, classify and report such information.
- Reviewing systems established to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures which have a significant impact on operations and reports.
- Reviewing the means of safeguarding assets and, as appropriate, verifying the existence of such assets.
- Appraising the economy and efficiency in which City resources are employed.
- Reviewing operations or programs to ascertain whether results are consistent with established objectives and carried out as planned.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the City Commission.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. Thank you.